The Redsnow is a famous tool developed by the Dev Team and it is used to jailbreak iOS devices. It gave us support from the first release of an iOS and it still helps us to gain freedom over our devices. However, Redsnow was recently updated and it contains significant features including full support for the well-awaited iOS 6 with Cydia added.
This amazing tool that offers support for Mac and Windows does not only assure us a tethered jailbreak for our iOS 6 devices, but also in the same time, it gives you the possibility to restore or downgrade your device.
Therefore, here are all devices that you can jailbreak iOS 6 tethered with Redsnow 0.9.15b1: iPhone 5, iPhone 3GS and 4th generation of iPods. Unfortunately, A5 devices such as, iPhone 4S and iPad 2, A5X devices such iPad 3 and A6 namely the iPhone 5 do not support this version yet. If in the past, in order to perform jailbreak iOS 6 you needed to select the IPSW, now, RedSnow will do that for you. It will recognize the firmware installed on your device and they will download anything that is required. The last thing I want to mention is the fact that this jailbreak tool, namely RedSnow 0.9.12b1 offers access to Cydia.
These are the steps you need to follow if you want to jailbreak iOS 6 tethered with RedSn0w 0.9.15b1 for iPhone and iPod.
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b1, the official Cydia version, with support for Mac and Windows.
2. If you did not upgraded to iOS 6 yet, this is the time to do it. RedSn0w 0.9.15b1 works only for iPhone or iPod running on the iOS 6 firmware.
3. When launching RedSnow, Windows users need to run the Administrator mode. For OS X users, a simple Ctrl and Click will be enough. Once you launch the software, a window will appear on the main screen.
4. Click on the Jailbreak button, select Cydia and put your device in the DFU mode. Anyway, you need to follow the exact instruction that RedSn0w tell you.
5. When the program finishes its job, you need to click on the “Autoboot this device when it connects in DFU mode” button. This will start your first session on a tethered device.
When the Cydia icon will appear on your main screen, it means that the jailbreak process was successful and now you have a tethered jailbroken device with Cydia support. This is how you perform jailbreak iOS 6 tethered using RedSnow 0.9.15b1 for your iPhone 4/3GS and iPod 4th generation with full support for Cydia. However, that into consideration that you will need to boot into a tethered jailbreak mode each time your device shuts down.
Update: Redsnow 0.9.15b2 was recently released. Since it’s just a small update for iPhone 3GS users only, a new tutorial it’s not necessary. Hence go to our Redsnow section and download the latest version, then follow this tutorial for the jailbreak procedure.